Thursday

Is God Really Talking To Me?

One of the issues that I dealt with early on in my Christian walk was the ability to discern whether or not God was talking to me.  I remember sitting in my bedroom and praying quietly and waiting for God to speak to me. The silence was deafening. I began to doubt myself and wondered if I was truly saved or forgiven. Was God mad at me after all? Why was He ignoring me?

So the Jews surrounded Him and began asking Him, How long are You going to keep us in doubt and suspense? If You are really the Christ (the Messiah), tell us so plainly and openly. John 10: 24 AMP

Not wanting to give up, I continued to pray and continued not hearing anything. Truth be told, I didn't even know what I was supposed to be listening for. I had heard so many times that He speaks to your heart and it is a still small voice. What?! Were these people for real?  What did that even mean? Nutjobs!

Jesus answered them, I have told you so, yet you do not believe Me [you do not trust Me and rely on Me]. The very works that I do by the power of My Father and in My Father’s name bear witness concerning Me [they are My credentials and evidence in support of Me]. John 10:25 AMP

Although I still didn't hear the Lord speaking to me, I found comfort in believing that I was saved and just figured that the relationship with God was one-sided. Would the Creator of the universe have time to talk with me?! How ridiculous was I to even hope for such a thing?

But you do not believe and trust and rely on Me because you do not belong to My fold [you are no sheep of Mine]. John 10:26 AMP

Over time, as I read the bible more and prayed wholeheartedly, I began to hear that still small voice and I marveled in it. I began to pray day and night just so that I could talk to God. Not to ask for restoration or any thing else. The fact that I could communicate with God astounded me. Hearing God after that seemed like breathing. Washing dishes, I heard Him. Walking to the park with the kids, I heard Him. Cooking dinner, cleaning my apartment, volunteering, I heard Him.
The sheep that are My own hear and are listening to My voice; and I know them, and they follow Me. John 10:27 AMP

Looking back I realized that I didn't hear God at first because I didn't know Him. While I didn't doubt His existence I doubted His character and love for me. I didn't know all of His promises and ways. I simply didn't know much about Him. It was in KNOWING Him that I began to truly love Him and being able to follow Him wholeheartedly and actually hear Him. Only those who know Him, can hear Him. You can only do that through His word and prayer. There are no shortcuts or secret tips to knowing God. Prayer and His Word are it. I am proud to say that I am now one of the nutjobs!

Have you heard the Lord speaking to you? Do you truly know Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment